Thursday, June 30, 2016

Biri Island


Welcome to Biri Island


I celebrated the first days of 2016 here ♥

I just wanted to celebrate my first days of 2016 away.. so far away.

I plan and started reading about Biri Island in the Northern Samar.
I was travelling alone for few years now..

Also, I celebrated my New Year 2012 alone in Ifugao.
You may read my Ifugao travel entry: New Year in Ifugao

So, I decided to do it alone, again.

(Picture above is in Macadlaw rock formation)


Matnog, Sorsogon is the jump off point to this incredible island.
 It will take 16 hours from Manila to Matnog.
The best way is to leave Manila around 4 pm arriving Matnog around 6 am.
The fare is P900.
From Matnog you can take the boat directly for P150.
The travel time is 2 hours.
You may ask people around for the local terminal.
You will have to rent a trike for Php 50 to get to the other port.


(Picture above is on top of Bel-At rock formation, the rock formation shown is Puhunan)


The perfect cone of Mount Mayon along the way.

Other route:
You may take a longer route if you are departing Manila in the morning.
There are RORO buses from Manila to Allen, the port in the Norther Samar.
The fare is Php 1000 with Php 30 terminal fee.

From Allen take a trike or jeepney to Lavizares for Php 100.
The travel will take 30 minutes.

Then, take an outrigger boat from Lavizares to Biri Island for Php 50.
The boat ride will take 45 minutes.



The fastest route:
Take a Philippines Air Lines flight from Manila to Catarman.
Then, travel from Catarman to Lavizares to Biri Island.

(Picture above in Matnog port)


Biri Island is a small island. 
There are few resorts in this place.
The most common accommodation is the home stay.
Staying with local people is not just economical 
but, an opportunity to see their culture and norms.

(Picture above was taken from Lavizares port; sunrise)


I did stay in the transient house with a lovely family,
meeting an adorable young man.
Their second floor was converted for room rental.
It has a shared toilet and shower.
There is network signal for smart subscribers only.
Electricity is up and running.

There are also local restaurants around the corner that serve good food.
You may opt to stay in the beach resort near the port.
It would cost around P1500-P2000 for a single room, good for 2.

(Picture above was cruising Lavizares to Biri Island )


My overnight room rate was P200. 
It was after the tropical storm so there is no restaurant available.
They cooked my meal and I just had to pay extra. 
I think I paid a total of Php 350.

The local house was in the middle of the small town.

Sorry, I cannot remember her good name.. ah!
She even invited me to return for their town's fiesta.
I will update this travel entry when my tour guide: Kuya Jun will reply.

(Picture above in Biri Port)


My friend Rye who loves this island
recommends Kuya Jun as my tour guide/ driver.
The fee for the habal-habal is P500 and P700 tour guide fee.
It is a must to hire them, and this also helps their tourism and livelihood.

(Picture taken with Ezekiel: the adorable grandson of the local where I stayed.


Let's start the tour now as I have my tour guide and driver turned into one.

The pathway to Caranas and Bel- At.
It will take 10 minutes from the town to the back portion of this island.

There are 6 rock formations.
Let's start from East to West:
Caranas, Bel-At, Puhunan, Macadlaw, Magsapad and Magasang.
I've been to 5.


The entrance to the paradise.
The right side is the Caranas and the one on the left is Bel-At.
They share this twin salt water lake.


This is the first rock formation, the Caranas.
It was high tide, and we cannot get through the waters to go there,
so my guide decided to do it late afternoon.


The second rock formation is the famous Bel-At.
According to what I read:
These rock formations are believed to be deposited 18 to 24 million years ago
in shelfal continental slope and formed by the underwater tectonic plates movement
generated by earthquakes
according to the study conducted by National Institute  Geological Sciences of UP Diliman.


Quite unique formation here.


I even found my heart turned into stone.
Hahaha!
I just put colours on it.


I was on top of Bel-at,
overlooking the Puhunan and Macadlaw.

I did not get to visit the Puhunan Rock Formation since it was high tide.


In the middle of Caranas and Bel-At lies a beautiful pool.
During the high tide, the salt water flows into this area.


It creates this beautiful panorama... of a natural and infinite salt water lake.
It was overwhelming.


The serenity of nature,
a piece of paradise in this simple island.


The colourful laundry.

After, my swim I went back to the town for the lunch.

I took a nap, after.

It was quite humid.


The continuation,
it was around 3 pm when we returned to the rock formations.


Some local children enjoying the day.

Happiness..

This is the only place where there is a white sand beach.
I've seen one resort near this area.


This is the west end.
These two are the Magasang and Magsapad rock formations.


This is the Magasang which is on the left side.
and my second favorite.


The Magsapad rock formation.


I chose to see Magasang rock formation, first.

Up close and personal.


Like I am lost somewhere in Mars.


The Pacific Ocean's dashing waves.


The stairways..


Going up..


The second floor view.


The view on top, overlooking the Magsapad rock formation.


One of the most beautiful view with the rainbow and waves.

Everything is magical in this place.


I also wanted to go to Magasang,
but, the waves and water current were strong.

So, I end up watching these boring waves.
So boring that I stayed here for a long time, missing the sunset in Caranas.


The sun was setting down when we returned to Caranas.


It was a beautiful day.

I had my dinner at my home stay.
One of his young sons accompanied me in the port to do the star gazing.


Good morning, Biri!
I had a good sleep in a peaceful night.

 I woke up around 4 am for the sunrise.
My guide and I agreed to do the sun rise this early.


Passing by the mangroves.
I've taken these pictures after the sunrise as it was too dark when we passed this way.


The bigger mangroves along the way.


Infront of Macadlaw, facing the Magsapad.


 Going up..


The sun is up somewhere at the end of that horizon.


Patiently waiting for the sun rise..
while watching the waves of the Pacific ocean play with the rock's floor.
Did I mention this is my favourite rock formation?


It feels good to see this view early in the morning.


And, finally!


If seeing means believing.. yes, God is great.


Enjoying my sunrise.

After some time, I said my good bye.

It's time to return to the main land.

I catched the 8 am departure of the boat back to Matnog.
The same fare of P150 for 2 hours rough ride.

Then, another 16 hours land travel from Matnog back to Manila.
The same fare of P1000.


Worth it? Of course!

Expenses: P4,000
Companion: Myself

No comments:

Post a Comment